"ISO UNICORN" - When your job search begins to feel like online dating.
Many of today’s job descriptions read like dating profiles of people hoping to punch way above their weight. You’ve seen the headline; Casual, Laid Back Individual ISO Unicorn for Unique Relationship followed by a 40-bullet point list of requirements for their perfect match.
Sure, I can do
that.
The fact is that most people are capable of much more than their resume states but because a resume has to be concise people are forced to streamline their information.
Much like online dating, employers are sifting through profiles until they find one that seems like a match. Couple that with the shroud of secrecy around work gaps, salaries, educational requirements, and keyword screening and it is becoming impossible for even the most diversified candidate to shine.
What should a person include in their profile?
Talk to 10 hiring managers and recruiters about how to
showcase yourself and you’ll get 10 different answers. The confusing part is that none of them are
wrong.
Here’s advice I’ve gotten from experts lately:
- Be specific about achievements in your area of expertise on a resume so a potential employer doesn’t think you’re too diversified
- Diversify your experience to include all other areas you have experience, so an employer doesn’t think you are limited
- Shorten your achievements to highlight your area of expertise
- Broaden your achievements to highlight that you can integrate into other areas
- Don’t list old work so you look current
- Dig deeper into your past to show a wide breadth of experience
- Fill your resume with “buzzwords” that will show up in the keyword search
- Don’t use too many “buzzwords” in your resume or you’ll seem inauthentic
I don’t know if there is a definitive answer.
What I do know is that my resume reflects what I’ve been doing lately (gaps and all) and that includes my "integration experience” (translation; a bunch of other stuff that is relevant to being a Unicorn). I also include links to pages showcasing my fully diversified background.
(Why yes, I am equally
comfortable at a ballgame or a ballroom, please swipe right.)
In the end I think the answer might be one that defines leadership and is critical to success.
Use your judgement to do what feels right.
When times get tough you need to trust your instincts, be authentic, and stand on the strength of your skills because eventually,
when you do find your perfect match, those skills will be the most important.
To all job seekers, good luck and stay strong!
Check out my pages above to learn more about me.
You can also find more on LinkedIn and Instagram or email me
at brynnhar@gmail.com




Comments
Post a Comment